8 Responses to “With primary behind her, Chou sizes up new foes”

1. Chiquita2009 1 November 2009 at 10:18 am #

Peter koo is definitely the best choice for this general election. He has the honesty, integrity, principle, and experience to represent the people of Flushing. Like many of us, he worked and still work hard to archieve his goals. He has been helping our community ever since he established in Flushing. He is a role model that anyone can identify with and a great example for the young generation. Yen Chou in the other hand, is not really clean in what she claim of herself. She said she was a teacher for CUNY. In reality, she never qualified as a professor to teach in any NYS public school. She tutored for a while in Queens Borough Community College because of a donation given by Sam Chan. And of her non-profit school, it is a lie. She does charge students a fee and not just a fee, but 2 to 3 times more that other simillar school. The reason, she claims that she is the only one who has materials and test that will help students to improve their scores. She uses her name to push her business. Also, as s US citizen it is ones reponsibility to vote. She did not for the last ten years and not even in her own primary!!! She does enroll in different associations but almost never attend? From here, we can see what kind of person she is. How can we trust in someone like her the future of our community? The future of distric 20 will be lost. I’m an idependant and I’m so proud to vote for Peter Koo this coming November 3. I really wish him and Flushing good luck. Please, don’t vote because you belong to this or that party. Vote from your heart, who you think the best for the seat. If you just vote like Yen Chou suggested “vote for your party” then it shows that you are just another follower, someone without dream nor aspiration, someone who does not know what he/she wants nor who he/she is. Lest vote for the best;Peter koo. And, not everything is bad. Not because someone is a republican he/she is bad. Yes, Peter koo is a republican. But, he is a person of pure honesty, integrity, and excellet principle. He is one of the nicest person one can ever meet. If he wins, he will not have to pay back to no one. He will just work hard to make Flushing better and better. He is not after the money or to take advantages of the seat like others. To proof this, last week he announced that if he wins, he will use his entire salary to help district 20. There are lots of community centers that need help because they are non-profit and do not get much help from the governent. Thanks you everyone. Chiquita.

2. pnouel 31 October 2009 at 8:13 pm #

At least we know Peter and his presence in Flushing for the last 25 years.
    He will not be a fantom for our community and if elected for will give his salary to help our old people in Flushing.
    We need proven people to represent our beloved Flushing. The Hispanics are there in hordes for Peter!

3. Damon 3 October 2009 at 12:29 am #

Democrats I know aren’t getting behind Yen Chou because she has NEVER been there for the African American community. I’ve lived in Flushing all my life, and I have never met or even heard of this woman. I’ve met SJ Jung and like what he has to say. If he doesn’t run, my vote goes to Peter Ku. At least I’ve seen him around.

4. Seeking Change 30 September 2009 at 6:49 pm #

I agree with Richard above. As an informed voter and a concerned District 20 resident, I have followed the campaigns and messages of each of the candidates. SJ Jung ran a very positive strong campaign and I hope that he continues on to the General Election. You have my vote, SJ Jung!

5. Richard Jannaccio 30 September 2009 at 5:16 pm #

SJ Jung, who placed a close second in the Democratic Primary did indeed run a positive campaign, true to the progressive principles of traditional Democrats.

Mr. Jung has broad-based appeal. His campaign had a lot of positive energy and momentum. Unlike Yen Chou, he has not used his ethnicity to divide and conquer.

On the contrary, SJ Jung impresses me as one who will bring people together.

So I agree with you Andrea, and this is what I wrote to SJ after the Primary Election, encouraging him to offer the People of Flushing a choice in November:

“To SJ Jung:

There’s a saying that things happen for a reason. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be that you would become Flushing’s next Council Member the “easy” way–by winning the Democratic Primary. Maybe the devine plan is for your perseverance to be challenged, for you to meet that challenge by offering an alternative to the Democratic and Republican candidates, and to go on to set an historic precedent–as the first Working Families Party candidate to be elected in Flushing … You’ve come too far to stop now, SJ, and maybe, too, there’s a reason why you are still eligible to be on the ballot in November … It’s an opportunity to shape the future. It’s an opportunity for you, it’s an opportunity for the people of Flushing, and it’s an opportunity for all the people of the City of New York. In other words, SJ, ‘Go for it!’ ”

I know SJ is listening to us, Andrea, and he has promised that we’ll get his response very shortly. Is tomorrow soon enough?

6. andrea ramos 29 September 2009 at 1:27 am #

I am a lifelong Democrat, but I really hope SJ Jung runs on the Working Families Party ticket. I have been very impressed by his community organizing experience and thought that he ran an excellent, positive campaign that focused on substantive issues facing our district. If Mr. Jung runs, I will vote on a third party ticket for the first time in my life!

7. Ana 28 September 2009 at 4:35 pm #

Well said!

8. Richard Jannaccio 26 September 2009 at 12:23 am #

Our Flushing Political Coalition sponsored a forum for the 19th and 20th Districts on Thursday, Sept. 24th and Yen Chou was the only candidate from either district who did not attend.

Shame on her.

If a candidate does not make herself available to the public and press when she needs votes, imagine how much she’ll snub the people after being elected.

Money and Media were the twin manipulators used by Yen Chou to “win” the “election.” It’s time to stop worrying about elections in Iran

In attendance for the 20th District were Evergreen Chou (Green Party) and Peter Koo (Republican).

Democrats who habitually vote straight down the Democratic Column should make a detour when they reach the row for city council member, come November.

More to come …